November 4, 2006

Catalina Island Triathlon 2006

This capped off a great year for me in my introduction to triathlons and my new endurance life! I guess that means I plan to keep going with this madness. This race was a beast of its own. We had to drive to Long Beach, jump on a ferry, and the walk to our hotel on Catalina Island. The travel really wasn't that bad and was fun for me. I saw dolphins on the way there and on the way back.

Race day was crazy because I really had no clue where I was going. We swam around a small pier, went up and down an extremely narrow road a couple of times, and then ran along the coast line and back. What a tight and very very very very very unsafe course! I was having an okay race but was having unhappy thoughts when I heard about my girlfriends Dad getting T-boned out there by and elite who went off course.

I never felt safe out there and it was confirmed with the accident that Steve had and the issues I heard all day from other racers. Bummer for such a neat island and fun venue.

I got 8th out of 45 in the age group but could never get into it...was just out of sort the entire race. Not likely going to race this event again. Lessons are sometimes learned the hard way.

Swim .5 miles (8:23) - 1:02 pace!  (really think that the timer had an error)
T1 (4:07)
Bike 10 miles (33:11) - 16.81 mph
T2 (1:09)
Run 3 miles (22:25) - 7:13 mpm

Overall - 1:09:15
 


The weather in the bay was perfect!

 


Because everyone needs stairs to the ocean?

Random walk on the island.


 

We  rock!
  
Happy to be done!